Bike
The bicycle that I have decided upon as the main means of transportation around the world is the Surly Long Haul Trucker.
There have been travelers who have simply hopped on a cheap bike and pedaled around the world. One man I read about has literally toured for a quarter-century on run-of-the-mill bikes! But going around the world can take a toll on a bike and you really want a well made, sturdy, lightweight bike that will hold up to the rigors of daily travel.
The Long Haul Trucker also meets some other important specs that make for a more comfortable tour. The gearing is close to the ground providing a lower center of gravity and better handling, and lessens the strain of all day pedaling. A long chain means the panniers sit further back and that prevents them from scuffing against the backs of my big feet. A long wheelbase provides better control and handling on curves. Surly builds these bikes to handle heavy loads that will go a long distance.

Looking around online there are ample blogs, stories, and photographs showing the Long Haul Trucker is proven for bicycle touring. In addition there are a ton of great reviews. One online site's collection rates the bike a 4.49 out of 5 and the reviews include...
"I've had a lot of bikes over the years and as far as touring bikes, I love my LHT. It's a great touring bike. It's been built around the idea of touring and it works great".
"the LHT has a magic carpet ride feel to it. I can ride it all day and not get beat up".
"super comfy, can carry lots of weight, has traditional style, classic good looks, simple and reliable technology, and is built for distance riding, but is just as great around town. The frame is awesome and I'm a steel believer now - the hype is true; the ride is great. The components are awesome "
The steel reference is in reference to the everlasting lightweight aluminum frame versus the strength of steel argument. Since my intention is seeing the land and meeting the people, not being a speed obssessed biker, and the roads I pedal may be bumpy where I am headed, I definitely appreciate the steel frame.
Back to Gear and Equipment
Digg It | Add to Technorati | Save on Del.icio.us | Stumble It | Facebook
0 comments:
Post a Comment